Weaning Diet – The weaning process begins the first time your baby takes food from a source other than your breast – whether it’s formula from a bottle or mashed banana from a spoon. The Weaning is the gradual replacement of breastfeeding with other foods and ways of nurturing.
How to introduce weaning / semisolid foods in babies after 6 months…
6 months is the time to start semisolid food after exclusive Breast milk/ formula milk…
Water is also introduced after 6 months…
- Your baby is able to sit with back support.2. Baby’s neck & head should be stable.
- Baby can open or close mouth around a spoon.
- He/She is ready to chew/ swallow.
- She/He is still hungry after breast/ formula feed & shows interest in foods…
1. Start with fruits puréed As it is easy to digest.
2. Always follow 3 days wait rule that means you should keep a gap between 2 new foods.
3. This is the best way to check food allergies.
4. Always feed solid food to your baby in sitting position either on chair / Laps.
5. . Don’t add breast milk/ formula milk during cooking it should not be on the flame.. add milk once the food is ready.
5. Baby food must be soft, properly cooked & easy to chew/ swallow.
6. Start with a very little quantity & slowly increase the portion.
7. Always give freshly cooked foods to the baby.
8. Don’t feed your baby forcefully.
- Breast/ formula milk.
- Meshed banana.
- Stewed apple.
- Steamed vegetable purée ( carrot, sweet potato, beans).
- Moong Dal pani.
- Rice water.
- Single grain cereal. ( atta kheer, sooji kheer, glucose biscuits mixed in milk, crushed & meshed Dalia, mashed potato, orange/apple juice.
- Gradually increase the quantity & portion size with varieties…